Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Let's begin...

You want your first post to be memorable. You worry over it - way too much! Eventually you realize that you just need to write it, do some QA on it, then post it. 

This blog is about wine. It’s about my attempt to learn everything I can about wine. I admit that I’m a novice. If everything works according to plan the blog will reveal my path from novice to journeyman. Ha! Plans! We'll see where we are in a few months.

I live in Hillsboro, Oregon just on the edge of the Chehalem Mountains AVA in the North Willamette Valley. I’ve lived here for five years and I admit I have taken my local vineyards for granted. So, one promise I can make about this endeavor is to find out what the local wine is all about, and through them, to get a taste of the place that I live in: Terroir

I'm pretty sure I incorrectly pronounced terroir as I typed it. Even after taking French in high school and spending several summer semesters in the French speaking portion of Switzerland, I know I’m not quite pronouncing it right. But, terroir is one of the most interesting subjects in regards to wine (or coffee). For me, here is where the romance, the mystery, and the art of winemaking converge. The idea that not only can you drink a wine and taste the earth it sprung from, but you can drink the very rain that fell in that place, at that time - a year ago, or perhaps twenty-five years ago. By drinking it, contemplating it, you get to be part of the process.

(And for some reason I can't help but think of Duchamp’s 50 cc of Paris Air.) 

So, as I write this journal I’ll just try to be practical and informative. I'll let the blog take shape before I worry too much about its organization. And I’ll get to writing about last weeks wine tasting I attended, and about the four Pinot noir grape vines I just planted in the back yard.


I’ll end with what I am drinking tonight: Ohitza Irouleguy 2010. A red wine from the Appellation Iroulegay Controlee in France.


It has substance to it… on the tongue… it has body like you get with french pressed coffee. It is fruity with a little acid and finishes long. A bit of Gruyere cheese with the wine really made it snap. I really like this wine. Now I’m curious about other years and the place in which it is grown and how it is made. 

Warm regards,

No comments:

Post a Comment